Frederic Grappe of Dynamic Vines tutored a tasting of organic/biodynamic wines for the Harrogate Medical Wine Society on Thursday 13 June at St-Robert’s Centre in Harrogate. DYNAMIC VINES is an independent natural wines merchant that has built a strong reputation by providing individual wines and service aimed specifically at the on trade. The company concentrates on sourcing organic and biodynamic wines that reflect their place of birth: the soil, the climate and their people.
- Efflorescence 2008, Champagne Marie-Courtin £31.35 (2 ha biodynamic estate in Cotes des Bar producing 4000 bottles of 100% Pinot Noir, partly barrel fermented, zero dosage champagne. Clean, acidic and very light wine for a Pinot. No hint of autolysis. Wonder how it would age further.)
- 2012 Muscadet de Sevre et Maine “Gabbro”, Domaine de Bellevue, RRP £13.95 (HMWS £12.10) (Bright,rounded and pleasant without the customary piercing acidity. Hint of spritz. Pleasant, attractive wine.
- 2009 Chablis “Clos Beru” Monopole, Chateau de Beru, RRP £32.00 (HMWS £26.58) (Vintage 6/10) Pale yellow, rich, perfumed nose, honeyed and fine textured wine. Lovely.
- 2012 Coteaux d’Aix en Provence “Bellugue”, Chateau La Coste, RRP £18.95 (HMWS £15.98) Palest pink, clean and pure rose aged in old oak. Frederic thinks it has an ageing potential of 20 years and should begin to drink only after 4 – 6 years! It is pretty good now.
- 2010 Neusiedlersee “Atanasius”, Gut Oggau, RRP £18.95 (HMWS £14.40) Zweigelt and Blaufrankisch blend from two young winemakers, fermented and aged in barrel. Perfumed nose. The low extraction with lovely aroma and fruit is pleasing. More like a Burgundy.
- 2009 Chateau Le Puy “Emilien”, Cotes de Francs, RRP £30.00 (HMWS £24.26) An irresistible, spicy Bordeaux.
- 2012 Muscat de Rivesaltes, Domaine Le Enfants Sauvages (50cl), RRP £21.00 (HMWS £16.76) Least pleasing wine of the lot.
For information on the estates and wines, visit Dynamic Vines website: http://www.dynamicvines.com
Mr. & Mrs. Andy Barton, Mr. Rob Buckley, Dr. & Mrs. Richard Chave-Cox, Dr. & Mrs. Bernard Dias, Mr. & Mrs. Peter McNamara, Mr. Davis Morris, Mr. & Mrs. Peter Murphy, Mrs. Gwynneth Owen, Miss Rhiannon Owen, Mr. & Mrs. John Shore, Drs. Alisdair & Elma Stewart, Miss Jane Trewhella, Mr. Ron Truss & Mrs. Una Corderoy, Mr. & Mrs. Les Wilson.
Page last updated on 15 June 2013