Fifty nine members and guests attended the Society’s 2016 Christmas Lunch held on Sunday 11 December at the Masonic Hall in Harrogate.
They started to arrive at eleven in the morning, sipped champagne and mingled, chatted and laughed. Some bought tickets for the annual Christmas Raffle.
Lunch was served at midday. Wines were poured, presented and discussed.
The Menu & Wines
Champagne Henriot Blanc de Blanc NV on arrival
French onion soup with a croque monsieur, Smoked salmon, beetroot carpaccio, lemon and dill mayo or Warm bruschetta of sun dried tomato, roasted red pepper and mozzarella
Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc Reserve 2015 and Hunter’s Chardonnay
Traditional turkey with all the trimmings
Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding
Slow cooked lamb with mashed potato and a red currant and mint jus
Cod loin, apple and celery puree, herb and truffle butter (All served with seasonal vegetables and potatoes)
Hunter’s Pinot Noir 2013 and Torre de Oña Reserva 2012, La Rioja Alta Alavesa
Traditional Christmas pudding with rum sauce
Vanilla panna cotta with berry compote
Apple and mincemeat lattice
Cheese and biscuits
Graham’s Late Bottled Vintage Port 2011
Tea/coffee and mints
The first prize was a case of Chakana Ayni Malbec 2014 in its splendid wooden box. There were six consolation prizes of a magnum of Guigal Cotes du Rhone 2011.
Comments via e-mail
- “Many thanks for all you do for HMWS and particularly the lovely Christmas lunch.” – Prof. David Dodwell, Harrogate
- “Thank you for organising another spectacular Christmas Lunch . I always know when Christmas begins when H.M.W.S. celebrates in style, and we certainly did that. Another triumph.” – Jane Greenwood, Leeds
“Wonderful introduction to Xmas festivities, excellent food , good wines and lovely atmosphere, thank you Bernard and a very happy Xmas from Tony and Jackie.” – Tony Stanier
- “Very jealous! Looks fab Bernard. Well done to all involved.” – Richard Fox, Harrogate
- “WOW Bernard! you’ve done it again, yet another wonderful Xmas party with lots of laughter with HMWS friends, top wines and a lovely meal to go with it. We were so lucky.” – Ann Joslin, Harrogate
- “Many thanks for another very enjoyable Christmas Lunch and especially for all the hard work you put into organising the event. It was again a festive afternoon of good food, excellent wines and jovial company.” – Gail Bent, Harrogate
“What a superb occasion yesterday at the Christmas lunch. Pat and I really enjoyed the convivial atmosphere, the very good food and excellent choice of wines. As always you have put in so much hard work to ensure everyone had a good start to the festive season. So we both wish you and Ramani a restful and peaceful time over Christmas and the New Year and extend good wishes to everyone in the HMWS. We look forward to exciting tastings in 2017.” – Pat and David Morris, Harrogate
“VMT for the superb Christmas Lunch yesterday. A great selection of menus and some very good choices of wine which added up to yet another memorable HMWS occasion.” – John Armstrong
- “What a fantastic do. The wines were excellent – Bernard Dias you chose well as usual!” – Sian Gamble, Harrogate
“Thank you for organising a splendid occasion. Congratulations to the caterers for lovely food and service. Happy Christmas! Best wishes” – Jane Trewhella, Otley
“The HMWS Christmas Lunch was a really friendly social occasion and a great start to the Festive Season. The well-chosen menu matched a good balance of fine wines – delicious! Thank you, Bernard for your excellent organisation and attention to detail, as always.” – Drs. Alisdair & Elma Stewart, Harrogate
“Once again a very big thank you for organising such a wonderful Christmas Lunch. The champagne, wine and port were superb and expertly presented complimenting the meal beautifully. A lovely occasion in the company of good friends.” – Pat & John Shore, Harrogate