This year’s Autumn Gourmet Lunch of the Harrogate Medical Wine Society featuring seasonal fare and fine wines was held on Sunday 15 November at the Masonic Hall in Harrogate.
Menu & Wines
Champagne Brut Millesime de Collection 2005 Pierre-Gimonnet, en magnum
Pan roasted grouse breast with brioche crouton and fig puree
Clos de la Prrièree 1er Cru 2009, Domaine Joliet, Fixin
Venison loin, sweet potato puree, sauté wild mushrooms, borderlaise sauce
Vergelegen Red 2003, Guardian Peak Lapa Cabernet Sauvignon 2007, Manso de Velasco Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
Marinated red wine strawberries, lemon meringue, red wine pepper gel, sesame seed tuille
Sauterne, Chateau Rieussec 1999
Stilton and Crackers
Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos 1999
Coffee & Mints
- Champagne Brut Millesime de Collection 2005 Pierre-Gimonnet, en magnum: “To make something beautiful is natural, but to do this and more, is harder. It demands an almost fussy intransigence of all the elaboration levels. Nevertheless, the philosophy of this great cuvée is that it must express the quintessence Pierre Gimonnet & Fils style, and it does exactly that.” – Didier Gimonnet. 100 % Chardonnay – 54% Cramant Grand Cru, 31% Chouilly Grand Cru, 15% Cuis Premier Cru
- Clos de la Prrièree 1er Cru 2009, Domaine Joliet, Fixin: Bénigne Joliet presides over one of Burgundy’s most fascinating properties, the Clos de la Perrière, first established by the monks of Cîteaux in 1142. The impressive Manoir has over four hectares of this Monopole under vine, with different vine age (up to 85 years), exposures and soils bringing complexity. Bénigne uses 20% whole bunches and 15% new barrels, with a relatively long maturation period, in order to avoid the rustic aspects of some Fixin wines.
- Vergelegen Red 2003: Working with concentrated fruit from low-yielding vineyards (3-4 tons/ha), care was taken not to produce over-extracted wines. The juice was fermented with local yeasts and macerated for 5 weeks. Maturation took place in 100% new 225l Sylvain and Taransaud French oak barrels with at least three rackings over a 23 month period. Cabernet Sauvignon 77%, Merlot 15%, Cabernet Franc 8%.
- Guardian Peak Lapa Cabernet Sauvignon 2007: “I have a great respect for Napa Cabernet Sauvignons as I appreciate the art of their balance in such powerful wine. This wine was made to see how close we can come to a Napa style Cabernet Sauvignon in Stellenbosch” – Winemaker
- Manso de Velasco Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, Torres Chile:100% cabernet sauvignon from 100 year old vines. Aged in casks of French Nevers oak, for 18 months (70% new oak). Bottled without filtering.
- Chateau Rieussec 1999, 1er Cru Classé: Rieussec has been owned by Domaines Barons de Rothschild since 1985 and is located at one of the highest points of Sauternes in the village of Fargues where its vineyards border those of Chateau d’Yquem. Rieussec’s 75 hectares of vineyards are planted with 89% Sémillon, 8% Sauvignon Blanc and 3% Muscadelle. Yields are low and the grapes are fermented in stainless steel tanks and oak casks before being matured in oak barriques (70% new) for 18-24 months.
- Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos 1999: The extraordinary quality of the wines from the Malvedos vineyard is such that in Vintage declarations these wines provide the main structure of Graham’s classic Vintage Ports.
“Thanks for your email, I’m really pleased that you enjoyed the lunch on Sunday.I will pass on your thanks to the staff.” – Adam Vear, Harrogate Masonic Hall
- “Carol and I would like to thank you for organising such a splendid lunch.
Our favourite wine was the Clos de la Perriere although all the other wines were excellent too. The food was delicious we both particularly enjoyed the grouse as it is such a long time since we have eaten grouse. It really was a most enjoyable day. We would like to thank Les for his sterling work in sourcing the grouse. Once again thank you so much and we hope you also enjoyed the day.” – Peter Murphy, Ackworth
- “Another splendid Wine Society Lunch with most appropriate wines.” – John Shore, Harrogate
- “Thank you so much for organising the fantastic Game Lunch and providing those scrumptious wines. Also to les for getting the grouse at the last minute, what a star. What a treat we had and it was such a happy occasion too. Each course was so beautifully cooked and presented it was a credit to Adam and the girls in his team looked after us so well. We really needed to dance to Santana afterwards to burn up some of those calories!!” – Charles & Ann Joslin, Harrogate,
- “Great lunch yesterday, fabulous wines.” – Ian & carol Bexon, Harrogate
- “Thanks for yesterday – we both really enjoyed it.” – Dr. Sylvia Scullion, Harrogate
- “Just can’t wait to tell you how much we enjoyed the Autumn lunch, wonderful food – compliments to the chef, the grouse was exceptional, lovely wines with vintages you just cannot buy. Thank you got sharing them with us and great company to complete another memorable event with HMWS.” – Tony Stanier